Identity theft is a serious crime and, in Colorado, it is treated as a felony. If you were arrested and charged with identity theft, the criminal defense team at Peakstone Law Group, LLC in Colorado Springs can provide the experienced representation you need to secure the best results for your case. Our criminal defense attorneys are backed by a successful track record of positive results, so you can feel confident in our ability to assist you during this difficult time.
Reach out to our legal team today at (719) 748-7517 or through our contact form to schedule a free initial case evaluation with one of our attorneys to discuss the details of your identity theft case.
What is Considered Identity Theft in Colorado Springs?
There are many circumstances that may constitute identity theft, according to Colorado law. Below are some examples:
- You used another individual’s personal identifying information, financial device, or financial identifying information without lawful authority or permission to secure cash, property, credit, services, or other items of value.
- You possessed another individual’s financial identifying information, personal identifying information, or financial device without lawful authority or permission to permit other individuals to use this information in order to secure property, cash, services, credit, or other items of value.
- You intentionally made a mistake, altered, defrauded, or made a financial device or financial instrument containing monetary identifying information or personal identifying information.
- You possessed the personal identifying information of someone else without lawful authority or permission to secure a government-issued document.
Examples of Items Containing Personal Information:
- Driver’s License
- Military I.D.
- Student I.D.
- Credit card number
- Routing or banking number
- Passwords to financial institutions
Some of the penalties of a conviction may include:
- You may spend 2 to 6 years in prison
- Pay a fine between $2,000 and $500,000
Prison sentences are mandatory in cases where identity theft was committed and the individual has a prior conviction in another state or territory.
Discuss Your Identity Theft Case with an El Paso County Criminal Defense Attorney Today!
If you were arrested for identity theft, the criminal defense team at Peakstone Law Group, LLC in Colorado Springs can provide the skilled legal counsel you need to navigate it. Our experienced team can help you protect your future, so you can put this terrible incident behind you and move past it. We understand how overwhelming this situation can be and will do what it takes to ensure the best possible outcome.
Reach out to our criminal defense team today at (719) 748-7517 or fill out our online form to schedule a free initial case evaluation with one of our attorneys to discuss the details of your identity theft case. We are available to take your call 24/7.